Thursday, November 26, 2009

Reacclimation

So.. after six months of traveling, I figured being back in the USA would just feel surreal and awkward. But more than that, it also felt kind of like I never left. The whole trip almost felt like a dream, and Mark and I repeatedly asked each other "Did we just do that?"
I'm contemplating blogging my somewhat sporadic journal entries from the trip, but I'm not sure what the best way would be- logging entries with their actual dates, or one long entry with everything. I'll get on that sometime..

Soon after returning to LA I flew off again, this time to visit my family in Romania. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to make this trip, reconnect with my family, and see some parts of Romania I hadn't had the chance to visit yet. I'm really looking forward to a much longer trip in that region.
From Romania


The rest of the last couple months has been spent decorating our new apartment, looking for jobs, endless interviewing, and half-assed pursuit of various discarded hobbies-- exercise, painting, random fabric crafts, and most recently my violin. I hope to keep practicing this time. We'll see. I've also been walking little dogs for a rescue group. For me, nothing compares to the love and gratitude of a puppy. I'm aware of all the social issues in the world, of all the larger problems that need work, but there's nothing I'm as passionate about as animals. I hope to have the opportunity to work with animals often, at least on and off. Right now, I need to take everything slowly-- find work, save up money, and along the way figure out the next step in the journey.

Very comfortably full from a snow crab Thanksgiving feast.
Happy holidays!

No comments: