Sunday, October 3, 2010

Camarones con Ajo

I'm tearing myself away from watching Daria episodes to post tonight's super easy and delicious meal.

Somehow the lighting in my kitchen doesn't lend itself to good food photography. It frustrates me every time. I even tried to use a lamp for extra light, but I still get a weird yellowish hue. I'm trying my best though.

After much thought and consideration of my dangerously low bank account, I decided to forgo my initial idea of trying to make steamed buns/bao tonight (which I needed a few ingredients for) and came up with a Cuban-ish garlicky shrimp with black beans and rice instead. I substituted the traditional sour orange juice in mojo with grapefruit since that's what was in the fridge, and sautéed the shrimp instead of serving them swimming in garlic oil like so many Cuban restaurants do (not that it isn't delicious, but I'd like to live past 40).


Ingredients:

  • 4 large shrimp (this was just for myself)
  • 1 head garlic
  • olive oil
  • 1 tbsp grapefruit juice (in lieu of sour orange mojo)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup rice
  • 3 cups water
  • cumin
  • bay leaf
  • salt
  • pepper

Preparation:

  • In a heavy pot, combine rice and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. 
  • Slice the garlic thinly. Reserve some for use in the black beans.
  • Combine shrimp, garlic, olive oil, grapefruit juice, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag or container. Mix so that the ingredients coat the shrimp evenly. Refrigerate.
  • Heat another pot, add olive oil. When hot, add onions; sweat for a few minutes, then add garlic. Add beans and one cup water or stock, as well as cumin and bay leaf. Let simmer.
  • Heat a heavy skillet. Add shrimp and garlic mixture. Cook briefly on each side (1-2 minutes), or to taste - always be wary of overcooking shrimp. 
  • Serve shrimp on top of rice and beans. Garnish with fresh cilantro.


No comments: