Sunday, January 10, 2010

I recently decided, for however long it will last, to write/'blog' more. And I thought, what to blog about?

What do I love more than anything?

What do I spend hours upon hours researching, reading about, planning, shopping for, growing, making, and enjoying?

What have I been around my whole life, and have no intention of giving up?

Food, of course!

For my first topic: the glorious homage to California and local foods that was tonight's dinner. Pretty much all the ingredients were purchased at the Culver City farmers' market:
  • Sand dabs($5/pound!)-- considering that Long Beach brings in the most sand dabs, there's a high chance that these were really local. We fried and battered them in panko breadcrumbs.
  • Artichokes-- iconic California vegetable!
  • Napa chardonnay-- specifically, Smoking Loon
  • mashed potatoes-- local Yukon Gold potatoes, California butter and cream

Delicious, wholesome-ish, local, organic, and cheap for a seafood dinner. We served the artichokes steamed with some melted butter, and the sand dabs breaded with panko breadcrumbs and pan-fried, with lemon wedges and buttery, creamy mashed potatoes. I never said this was a diet meal..

No comments: